It’s not so much that this is a mantra, it is more like a focal point that ties in with personal, business and spiritual goals I have for the year.
This year’s word is discipline.
When most people hear the word discipline the first thing that they tend to think about or recall is being disciplined or reprimanded by a parent or an authority figure.
Discipline by dictionary definition is:
1. training to act in accordance with rules; drill: military discipline.
2. activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training: A daily stint at the typewriter is excellent discipline for a writer.
3. punishment inflicted by way of correction and training.
4. the rigor or training effect of experience, adversity, etc.: the harsh discipline of poverty.
5. behavior in accord with rules of conduct; behavior and order maintained by training and control: good discipline in an army.
6. to train by instruction and exercise; drill.
7. to bring to a state of order and obedience by training and control.
8. to punish or penalize in order to train and control; correct; chastise.
1175–1225; Middle English < Anglo-French < Latin disciplīna instruction, tuition, equivalent to discipul ( us ) disciple + -ina -ine2
The choice of the word discipline as my word for 2013 has to do with the discipline required to stick to commitment.
Diligence brings about the discipline to be able to focus and to ignore or remove distractions when needing to stay on purpose and on point.
In this case the discipline is not a harsh word.
In fact, discipline is one of the key things you will find that is a personal core value or personal attribute in most successful people.
And by successful people –I am not talking just about financially successful people. I am referencing people who have often overcome hardships in the life, as well as people who have decided to stick to the commitments they made-whether big or small.
As we kick off 2013-I ask you: What resolutions, commitments or goals have you made?
What do you need to do or change to give yourself the space, time, effort and energy to be disciplined and follow through on those things?
For me, this is a year of Quantum Growth. The foundations have been laid for many years. Now we build and launch. 🙂
Here’s to discipline– and seeing new big growth goals come to pass!